Friday, November 04, 2005
I love crockpots. Here's another of my fave recipes from the same Betty Crocker cookbook that I've mentioned before on Live Love Laugh.
Prep: 15 MIN Cook: 9 HR
3 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/3 cups uncooked regular long-grain rice
1 1/3 cups water
1. Cook bacon in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Stir in bell pepper, onion and celery. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Spoon bacon and vegetables into 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker, using slotted spoon.
2. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning; place in same skillet. Cook chicken over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes, turning once, until brown on both sides. Arrange chicken and any remaining drippings in skillet over vegetables in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over chicken. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
4. Cook rice in water as directed on package. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
Makes 4 servings
Variation: To add a little more fire to the flavor, season with red pepper sauce.
Serve-With: Warm sourdough bread & fresh green beans
1 Serving: Calories 160; Fat 17g; Cholesterol 110mg; Sodium 340mg; Carbohydrate 60g; Dietary Fiber 3g; Protein 44g
Source: Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Meals
Posted by Rae
Labels: Chicken, Crockpot
Prepared by Rae ::
4:17 PM ::
Search the recipe box
Clam Chowder for Winter Days
This is made in a crockpot and can be frozen, however do not re-heat it in a microwave as it tends to seperate.
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
6 strips of bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
2 cans (each 5oz/142g) whole baby clams
1 cup water
3 cups diced peeled potatoes
1 tsp Worcesthire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
14 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups light cream or half and half or 1 13oz can evaporated milk
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1. In a large non-stick skillet, saute' bacon, onion and celery for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened and onion is translucent. With a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
2. Drain clam liquid into slow cooker; set aside whole clams. Add water, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce,salt,pepper and bay leaf.
3. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 6 to 10 hours, until potatoes are tender and soup is bubbling. Remove baf leaf and discard
4. In a bowl combine flour and 1/4 cup cream; mix well to dissolve lumps. Add to slow cooker along with reserved whole clams, green pepper and remaining cream. Cover and cook on High for 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened.
** I have used cornstarch instead of flour and the results are still good**
Posted by Crazy Gramma
Labels: Crockpot, Seafood, Soup
Prepared by crazygramma ::
11:33 AM ::
Search the recipe box